The formula for losing weight is really simple but most people find it terribly hard to follow.
Think of losing weight and choosing a weight loss diet as a hockey game. In order to win the game you have to be at least one goal ahead after 60 minutes of play. In other words you have to score at least one more goal on your opponent then they score on you.
Losing weight is the game of burning at least one more calorie than you eat each day. I know this is simplifying things a lot and by not discussing the types of foods and their glycemic index and the types of fats etc. we are skipping a lot of detail … but losing weight is primarily a head game, and you have to start any weight loss program by winning the game first in your head before actually trying to score a goal.
Every day is a new game that you must play and win in your head first before you can create a calorie deficit that will lead to weight loss. The difference in the calories you eat minus the calories you burn is the score you are stuck with for that day. Eat one calorie more than you burn … and you lose the weight game that day.
You have a chance to win the game every day just by eating a bit less, exercising a bit more, or by combining the two in some way so that somehow you have a calorie deficit instead of a calorie surplus. The bigger the spread between calories in vs. calories burned, the more in control you are of the weight game.
Here’s some simple rules to follow that you probably aren’t doing now:
- Get a good night’s sleep. The general wisdom is at least 8 hours but that’s probably an average. Dr. Oz suggests also getting as much of that sleep as you can before midnight.
- Cut out the junk food. You know what it is. Too much sugar and salt.
- Drink lots of water to flush out the junk and other toxins.
- Get some exercise at least 3 times a week. You don’t have to kill yourself on a treadmill or train for a marathon. “Google” the P.A.C.E. program by doctor Al Sears and see how 20 minutes of the right kind of exercise can change your bod for the better quite quickly.
- Eat fruits and vegetables and get lots of protein from lean (high omega 3) red meat. For snacks eat a variety of nuts and even some popcorn (light on the butter) won’t hurt. For those cringing at the thought of red meat … trying reading some more stuff by doctor Al Sears to get in the right frame of mind about protein. What have you got to lose if you are FAT and don’t like how you look … and have tried all the other stuff?
There … now was that so hard.
P.S. – Remember, losing the weight is not usually the problem. If you don’t adapt to these new eating principles and stick with them … you won’t keep the weight off, and in the end will still lose the weight game.